The Sumner House has been an historical beacon in Shrewsbury,
MA since 1798. Situated at the west side of the
Town Common, the original "Sumner Mansion" was home to the town's
second minister, Reverand Joseph Sumner. Several generations of the
family occupied the home for 200 years. George Sumner, a partner at
the former Barnard, Sumner, and Putnam department store in
Worcester, MA, was known for hosting elaborate social gatherings at
the home. The final Sumner descendants sold the home as a private
residence in the 1980s, and after several years, it was turned into
a bed and breakfast inn. The majority of the original decor of the
Sumner House's 23 rooms was preserved when it became the Heald
& Chiampa funeral home in 2010.
Click the thumbnail pictures below to view a larger image
presentation of the Sumner House.